Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bob Dylan Slept Here

Yeah, I'm not really going to write about the Bob Dylan show last night, would have loved to have gone and reported back to you people about it, but Ol' Bob and Willie charge a little to much for my blood.

What I would like to write about is Podcasting. One thing I find interesting about Podcasting, is how it is billed as this new fangled technology, or new outlet for people. Hey, look, the technology for recording your own radio show, or spoken blog, or whatever you call it, has been around for a very long time. The ability to share this recording as a .wav file or .mp3 with people has been around since the introduction of the internet(I do realize mp3's came some time later.). When the first mp3 players started hitting the market in 1998, the technology was there for listeners to take your prerecorded files with them whereever they went. Of course nowadays some people I run into think that digital music players are a new thing ushered in by the Apple iPod. Being a music lover, I jumped on the mp3 player bandwagon back in 1999. Back in those days of Napster, I would commonly search around for ripped audio books, comedy, and other spoken word files. Some of them were people dicking around having their own homemade radio show. So Podcasting is nothing new, and guess what, you don't need a iPod to play a podcast wherever you go. While I do like the iPod and have become an Apple fan over the past year and a half, I don't own an iPod. I have the same RCA Lyra mp3 player that I bought back in 1999 shortly after graduating from highschool, and I still use it. I can't really call it an mp3 player anymore, because it only plays Windows Media Audio(wma) these days. [This has to do with an early implemented RIAA safeguard against music sharing.]

I don't have anything against podcasting, podcasters, iPods, Apple, or any of that. I just find it funny that people get all worked up over something that has been possible for almost a decade. Just goes to show how fast humanity is to get with the program.

Oh, and why adopt the name Podcasting? For one you're not broadcasting, it's prerecorded media; second, it's not something limited to iPod owners only, anyone with some kind of digital media player can take these "shows" with them. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could burn it to a CD and listen in your car, or portable CD player if you haven't made the leap to digital file players yet.

Well that's my rant for today.

Asylunt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home